Hitachi Personal Information Protection Policy
1. Definition of Personal Information
Hitachi, Ltd. (hereinafter referred to as "Hitachi") shall define that personal information means information about individuals, including the name, birth date and other descriptions about them, or a number, symbol, code, image or sound assigned to them, that identifies the individuals (it shall also include the information that cannot identify individuals by itself, but can, as it easily can be verified with some other information.) In addition, it shall not be limited to personal identifiers, but shall include any information that indicates a fact, recognition and assessment about the attribute of individuals, including a physical characteristic, property, occupation or status.
2. Scope of Application
This document, "About Personal Information Protection," establishes the Hitachi's procedures for handling personal information.
3. Collection/Usage Purpose and Provision to Third Party
- In relation to Hitachi's main business activities for electrical machinery parts, information communication machinery parts, electronic parts manufacturing and the information service, Hitachi will collect and use personal information only to achieve each purpose. For more details of our business activities, please see our website about each division. When Hitachi requires a person to provide the personal information, Hitachi will clearly state the purpose of the use beforehand to obtain the consent.
- Execution of a contract concluded between Hitachi and a customer.
- Contacts for business negotiations and meetings with a customer.
- Delivery of after-sales service on products, and sending of information on events and new products.
- Execution of business, including system development, operation and maintenance, entrusted by customers.
- Delivery of various membership services.
- Affairs of stocks.
- Response to various inquiries from a customer.
- Analysis based on questionnaires to improve products and services.
- Provision of personal information to the group company in case of co-operation with them.
- Hitachi will not provide the personal information with a third party without first obtaining consent of the person, except in the following cases:
- Cases in which the provision of personal information is based on laws
- Cases in which the provision of personal information is necessary for the protection of the life, body, or property of an individual and in which it is difficult to obtain the consent of the person
- Cases in which the provision of personal information is specially necessary for improving public hygiene or promoting the sound growth of children and in which it is difficult to obtain the consent of the person
- Cases in which the provision of personal information is necessary for cooperating with a state institution, a local public body, or an individual or entity entrusted by one in executing the operations prescribed by laws and in which obtaining the consent of the person might impede the execution of the operations concerned
- Cases in which an entry handling personal information entrust the handling of personal information in whole or in part within the scope necessary for the achievement of the Purpose of Use
- Case in which personal information is provided as a result of the take-over of business in a merger or otherwise
- When required to do so for business activities in which Hitachi is co-operating with the group companies, Hitachi may provide such group companies with personal information such as a name, workplace or home addresses, telephone number, fax number, e-mail address, etc. If this is the case, the personal information will be provided in print or electronic media. In addition, the person may request us to stop the provision of the personal information with the group companies.
Mean information exchanged one another between a web server that controls a web site and a web browser that a person uses. Cookies may be saved as files in the disk of a person's PC. If you use a cookie, the web server can track and record information about which pages in the web site the particular computer visits etc. However, we cannot identify the person unless he or she enters the personal information into the web site.
- Web Beacons:
Mean technology that functions with a cookie to check how many times a person accesses a particular page. However, we cannot identify the person unless he or she enters the personal information when receiving cookies.
Information Security Department, Corporate Information Technology & Security Division, Hitachi, Ltd.
1-6-6 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8280
- * Office hours: 9:00 - 17:30, weekdays (excluding Saturday, Sunday and holidays)
Download Letter of Complaint:
6. Request to person
- While most of Hitachi's services can be used without the personal information, please note that some services are only available with the submission of the personal information.
- Please note that Hitachi is not responsible for the Security of personal information in any non-Hitachi web site whose link is included in the Hitachi's web site.
- If a person enters the personal information into the Hitachi's website, he or she is required to agree upon the provisions in this document, "About Personal Information Protection", otherwise you may not use our services (including response to inquiries). Also, if you are aged at 14 or younger, please enter the personal information with the consent of a parent or guardian.
7. Special Note
- Our personal information protection policy shall be in accordance with the laws of Japan.
- Hitachi may revise this document, "About Personal Information Protection," to improve the handling of personal information and/or due to the revision of laws or ordinances, or other rules or regulations.
- The implementation of this document, "About Personal Information Protection," shall be after the issued date (or revised date).
- If each Hitachi website has its own personal information policy, this policy shall supersede the provisions of any other policies in the Hitachi websites.
- If a person calls us, Hitachi may tape the call to ensure offering clearer answers.
8. Inquiries about This Website
If you have any questions about this web site ("About Personal Information Protection") except Section 5 (Request to Disclose Personal Information or Raising Complaints), please contact us using the following "Inquiry Form" or by mail or fax.
If you submit us any inquiries or opinions, we would like you to carefully read and agree on the terms stipulated in this document, otherwise please note that we may not answer the inquiry.
Any personal information you submit us will be deleted, as we answer your inquiry, and we will not hold it.
- Contact by mail or fax
- Information Security Department, Corporate Information Technology & Security Division, Hitachi, Ltd.
1-6-6 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8280
If you contact us by mail or fax, please fill in the following items and include in the sheet:
- Your inquiry (required)
- Your name (required)
- Organization (e.g. name of company or school)
- E-mail address (required)
- Postal code*
- * If you do not have an email address, you are required to fill in all the items with "*"
Enacted on April 1, 2005
Revised on January 16, 2007
- In order to read a PDF file, you need to have Adobe® Reader® installed in your computer.